How we can help YOU.
Carers FIRST supports carers living Kent, Medway, Lincolnshire and Waltham Forest.
The very nature of caring - of being there for a loved one facing ill health or disability - means too often people don’t at first, or sometimes ever, identify themselves as carers and therefore miss out on support. Without the right help and support, caring can have a devastating impact – carers can quickly become socially isolated with their physical and emotional health, work and finances all potentially being hit hard. Carers FIRST offers a range of support including the following:
- Providing information, advice and guidance looking holistically on all aspects of you as a carer and an individual
- Supporting you with conversations with people including GPs, social services and hospitals
- Offering opportunities to access practical training to help you with your caring role, e.g first aid
- Support you to maximise you household income by assisting with checking your eligibiity for benefits and financial support
- Completing a carers assessment with you to find out if you are eligible for additional support (Kent and Lincolnshire only)
- Provide opportunities to attend support groups and activities where you can meet others in a similar situation to yourself
- Stay in regular contact through our Carers Hub phone line, website, monthly e-bulletins and regular “What’s On” guides
- Supporting you to put in place your carers emergency reponse plan
- Providing opportunities for carers to become involved in helping develop and improve services for carers
We provide personalised 1-1 support to carers by running surgeries within community hubs across our localities. Carers can make an appointment via our Carers Hub at a specific time convenient to you. You can then meet with one of the team to receive the individualised support you require.
These groups provide an opportunity for carers to meet together for mutual support and friendship. They are informal, sociable groups, with refreshments available to purchase. Groups may be Carer Led or facilitated by a Carer Support Worker. For details see the “What’s On” Guides specific to the area you live in.
These are support groups which focus on health specialisms, for example autism, dementia, or mental health. There is always a member of Carers FIRST staff at the group and we often invite guest speakers to attend to offer specialist advice. For details see the “What’s On” Guides specific to the area you live in.
We work with local organisations to provide training for carers to support them with their caring role. This includes caring for yourself, practical support such as first aid, moving and handling and help to improve your knowledge of the heath condition of the person you care for.
Hospital based staff
We have staff who work from the main hospitals in West Kent, Medway and Lincolnshire. Staff are based there to offer support, advice and guidance to the carer while someone is admitted. If you or the person you care for have a planned admission, let us know on the Carers Hub number as soon as you have an admission date. We will then be able to liaise with health professionals and adult services to offer support so that not only your stay, but also your discharge from hospital can run as smoothly as possible
To find out more about the support we can offer, please take at our Information Booklet and What's On Guides in our Newsletter section
Please contact the Carers Hub on 0300 303 1555 for further information.