Carer's Emergency Card

When emergencies happen, our lives are put on hold whilst we deal with the aftermath. For many carers life cannot simply be put on hold, when the person they are looking after relies on them for vital help and support. If a carer is suddenly taken ill, who else will step in?


We advise all carers to create an emergency plan - for you and the person you look after. Having a plan in place can help ease your  worries if you are not able to care for the person you look after at any point in the future. Things to consider include:

  • Details of the name and address and any other contact details of the person you look after
  • Who you and the person you look after would like to be contacted in an emergency – this might include friends, family or professionals.
  • Details of any medication the person you look after is taking.
  • Details of any ongoing treatment they need.

Hackney Carers Emergency Card Scheme

The Carers Emergency Card Scheme is FREE and available to all unpaid carers. It is run by Hackney Adult Social Care and will give you peace of mind that if anything happens to you, the person you care for will be contacted to check that their support needs are being met. 

An example of an emergency may include, your admission into hospital or other health needs which preclude you from continuing to provide care; or a family emergency, such as a close relative being taken ill and requiring support, etc. 

On completion of this document, you will be provided with a Carers Emergency Card which you can carry with you and detail the individuals you would like to be contacted if you are taken ill. 

How does it work?

Carers register with the scheme and provide information about the person they look after (for example, medication) and the names of people who can be contacted in the event of an emergency and who have keys to your home. This information is held by the Hackney Adult Social Care Team. If they receive a call that you have been involved in an emergency which is affecting you ability to provide the necessary care, they will take action depending on what has happened to you.

It is important that the individuals you may name as emergency contacts are aware and are also given a copy of this document.    

What if I don't want my plan held centrally?

If for any reason you do not want your emergency plan held centrally, there is a small amount of space on the emergency card for you to write the details of the person you would like to be contacted in an emergency and you can simply complete this and keep the card with you. It is still advisable to complete the emergency plan document and give copies to those you name as emergency contacts.

How can I join the scheme?

To join the scheme you must be registered as a carer in Hackney. You can contact Carers FIRST and we will send you the form to complete along with a card. If you would like the form held centrally with adult social care, please return to us and we will forward to the adult social care team.

If you would like some help to complete the form please speak to one of our team based in Hackney or contact our Carers Hub and we will complete the form with you.