Legal issues

As a carer it can be hard to find time to think about planning for the future but thinking about some of the legal issues in advance can avoid stress at a difficult time.


The best way to ensure that your wishes are clear regarding who your home, money, possessions and your pets should go to after you die is to make a legally valid will. You might find the information below useful:

Wills, Probate and Inheritance – UK Government Website 

Making a Will – Age UK  

Making a Will – Money Advice Service 

Lasting Power of Attorney

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document by which one person gives another person (the Attorney) the power to act on their behalf and in his or her name. This gives you more control over what happens to you if you no longer have the ability to make your own decisions. An LPA can be drawn up at any time while you have the mental capacity to do this but it has no legal standing until it is registered with the Office of the Public Guardian.  There are two types of LPA – Health & Welfare and Property & Financial Affairs. These links provide more information about LPA and how to obtain one.

Make, register or end a Lasting Power of Attorney – UK Government Website 

Age UK -  Powers of Attorney 

Citizens Advice 

Mental Capacity – more information about the Mental Capacity Act can be found here >> 


A trust is a way of managing assets (money, investments, land or buildings) for people. This is a legal arrangement where one or more people controls money or assets (Trustees) which they must use for the benefit of one or more people (beneficiaries).

Find out more at the UK Government Website 

Money Advice Service 

Obtaining Legal Advice

The following organisations can provide more information about how to obtain legal advice.

LawWorks is a charity committed to enabling access to justice through free legal advice. 

Age UK Factsheet – Getting Legal Advice (pdf) 

Finding Free or Affordable Legal Help – Citizens Advice  

Law Centres Network