Personal Independent Payment (PIP)

PIP has a Daily Living component and a Mobility component, both have standard and enhanced rates. You can receive payments for one or both of these components.
Am I eligible?
PIP can be paid regardless of your income or savings and is a tax free benefit.

  • You must be aged between 16 -64 years
  • You can get PIP even if you are working or studying.
  • If you are a carer who has care needs, you can claim PIP for yourself and this will not affect your Carer’s Allowance

How do I claim PIP?

You will need to go through a process to make a claim. To start your claim call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222 (textphone 0800 917 7777).

They will ask for basic information and then send you a claim form which asks you how your disability or illness makes it hard for you in daily life. Your claim will be assessed by a healthcare professional and you might have a face-to-face assessment

Read more in Carers UK's factsheet: Personal Independence Allowance (PIP):