Universal Credit

Universal Credit is gradually being rolled out across the UK, and is already available nationwide for single people. However, for couples and families, Universal Credit is currently only available in certain areas.

Am I eligible?
To claim Universal Credit, you must:

  • be under State Pension age
  • have a low income
  • have savings below £16,000
  • not be studying or training full-time
  • accept a ‘Claimant Commitment’.

You can’t claim Universal Credit if you’re already receiving certain benefits, such as Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, or income-related Employment and Support Allowance. If you are claiming these benefits, you will be moved to Universal Credit in the future.

If you want to find out whether your area is a full (digital) service area or a gateway area then you can enter your postcode on a website called Revenue Benefits, and it gives you this information. If you are in a full (digital) service area it will say Universal credit is available in your postcode area and is part of the full (digital) service’; and if you are in a gateway area it will say ‘ It is not currently possible to make a new claim for Universal Credit in your area".

Read more in Carers UK's factsheet: Universal Credit: