Session 1: The caring role
This 1 hour session will introduce carers to Carers First and the caring role. Session topics will include:
- Introduction to Carers First
- The caring role: the essentials of caring for someone day-to-day; from medication to emergencies at home
- Accessing statutory support for carers
- Balancing the caring role and other commitments
- Questions taken from the chat function
Session 2: Carer wellbeing
This will be a 1.5 hour session exploring carer wellbeing including:
- How to build resilience in your caring role
- What is wellbeing
- Why it’s important to look after our wellbeing
- How to improve wellbeing, looking at connections, getting active, eating well, sleep and mindfulness
Session 3: Finance: an introduction
This will be a 1 hour session exploring carer finances including:
- Welfare Benefits; types, eligibility and how to claim
- Household finances; council tax, water bills, grants
- Debt advice
- NHS continuing healthcare
- Useful Organisations
Session 4: An introduction to self-advocacy
This will be a 1.5 hour long session to support carers to be confident in self-advocacy when speaking with health professionals and in other aspects of their life. Including information on:
- What is self-advocacy?
- Why is self-advocacy important?
- When would you use self-advocacy?
- The three steps to self-advocacy
- Tools to help you with self-advocacy
At the end of the course carers will be emailed a resource booklet relating to the sessions with local information on support available.